The Bethlehem Chapel
Praha 1 (Map)
|Telephone:||224 248 595
222 221 030
Tel: 224 248 595, 724 229 287
|Opening hours and admission fees||
The Bethlehem Chapel is a national cultural monument and the first preacher’s temple in Europe. It was founded by burghers Jan Kříž, a grocer, and Hanuš of Mühlheim, a courtier. In the foundation deed dated 24 May 1931, both donors expressly said that it was supposed to be used for Czech sermons. It was built between 1391 and 1394 and between 1402 and 1413, it was used by Master John Hus. Since the very beginning it has been associated with an university.
Burghers´ interest in reforming church and progressive university trends met in the Bethlehem Chapel. Between 1638 and 1661, the chapel was owned by the university.
In 1786, a portion of the chapel was torn down, but in the 1950s it was restored to its original appearance based on a project by architect Fragner who used preserved masonry fragments.
In 1987, the chapel passed to the Czech Technical University in Prague that restored and reopened it to the public at the university’s expenses. The opening ceremony was held on 26 March 1992.
Following university traditions, the Bethlehem Chapel became the ceremonious hall of the Czech Technical University.
The spacious lobby opens to St. Wenceslas Hall, private rooms, coat-rooms and bathrooms.
St. Wenceslas Hall
St. Wenceslas Hall is mostly designated for social events. Catering can also be provided in the hall.
The ceremonious hall is used to organize ceremonies, social and academic events such as graduation ceremonies, matriculation ceremonies and academic council meetings. It is also used for international conferences, congresses, concerts, literature evenings, etc.
The chapel is also used by the Office of the Czech Government for state events.
There are 400 seats in the auditorium. There are 22 chairs on the stage.
The hall has a three-manual organ. SEAT NUMBERING
The historic premises of the statue collection can be found in the Bethlehem Chapel basement. They are suitable for organizing exhibitions, opening nights and cultural events. These premises can be leased including the collections.
Catering Department Phone:+420 234 678 367